Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Potty...

Quentin is the last of three children to be Potty trained. He is doing well so far but it has been a long journey to the point where we are now.

Funny I'm blogging about this now because I lost it the other day when he pooped in his underwear, while wearing pants, and it wasn't all solid (sorry for the details). I asked him why? I put him on the toilet, and I threw his underwear in the trash. Later on he told me that he was sorry and I felt better but. To add insult to injury I left him on the toilet for about 3 minutes to go back upstairs and find that the rest of the roll of toilet paper was used and in the toilet. :(  Why?

Quentin has been actively potty training since June 2012. He has done a remarkable job but still has his rebellious side. Today, I am proud to say, Quentin goes to his pre-school in underwear and comes home with the same clothes. He is on a streak of about 5 classes and counting...

Steps for getting him where he is today are as follows:

  • Offer an incentive for potty training (something immediate like candy or a dance, etc.)
  • Praise him once the deed is done (hi-five's worked well for Quentin)
  • Offer to take him to the bathroom every hour for the first month, every other hour for the second month, and whenever you use the bathroom thereafter
  • Never think you are out of the forest until the child is 4 years old (with the exception of the nightly-before-bed-bathroom reminder)
I love my boy!